Our calculator for determining “How Many Deck Boards Do I Need?” will revolutionize your deck design. Optimize precision and productivity while determining the ideal quantity of deck boards required for your undertaking. Make decking a simpler undertaking by utilizing this indispensable implement.
How Many Deck Boards Do I Need Calculator?
Numerous variables can influence the quantity of deck boards required, including the dimensions of the deck, the distance between boards, and the intended arrangement. To ascertain the quantity of deck planks required, proceed as follows:
- Deck Dimensions: Ascertain the deck’s length and girth in feet.
- Perform Square Footage Calculation: The sum of the length and breadth of the deck will yield its total square footage.
- Board Dimensions: Establish the dimensions of the deck boards that will be utilized, such as 2×4 or 2×6.
- Consider Spacing: Determining the appropriate spacing between boards is typically a task requiring 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Assign the effective breadth to each board by adding this spacing to its width.
- Calculate Boards Needed: To determine the quantity of boards required, divide the deck’s total square footage by the effective width of a single board. To account for partial boards, round up.
- Add Extra For Waste: 10% additional should be incorporated to accommodate for waste, cuts, and potential future restorations.
Please note that the following is a broad outline, and specific circumstances may lead to variations in the actual requirements. There are online calculators that can be utilized to automate this procedure by considering various variables.
How To Determine The Quantity Of Decking Boards Required
Prior to commencing the construction of a deck in your garden, it is critical to determine how many decking boards you will require. Because decking planks can be pricey, it is critical to avoid underestimating or overestimating. In the long run, you will save a tremendous amount of time and money by performing an extremely precise calculation of the required quantity.
The Determination Of Decking Area
Before proceeding, determine the decking’s area in square metres. If your decking is rectangular or square, this is an extremely straightforward task. Simply multiply together the length and breadth of the decking area you intend to construct.
In contrast, if the shape of your decking is more irregular, it is most practical to divide it into a sequence of smaller rectangles, squares, or triangles in order to determine the corresponding area. Simply calculate the sum of the areas of each of these to obtain the total.
Determining The Quantity Of Decking Board In Metres Required
In the following procedure, divide the solution of the initial equation by the breadth of the decking boards that are to be utilized. In contemplation of the small gaps that may exist between individual decking boards, it is prudent to augment the board width by approximately 5mm.
Subsequently, divide this measurement by the length of the decking timbers that you intend to acquire. You are now aware of the quantity of decking timbers required.
We would advise purchasing an additional 10% in order to guarantee that each component of your new deck is adequately covered.
An Illustrative Calculation
Let us now apply what we have learned by solving an equation. Suppose you intend to construct a terrace area measuring 7 meters by 5 meters. 110-meter-long decking planks are being utilized.
- 7m x 5m = 35m²
- The result of adding 5mm to 110mm is 115mm for the board width.
- 114 millimeters squared times 35 meters equals 304.35 linear meters. To the nearest whole number, round this.
- Further, augment this value by 10%, resulting in 304 x 1.1 = 334.4.
- 4 ÷ 2 = 167.2
- 167 is the rounded value to the nearest whole integer.
Consequently, 167 decking boards are required to encompass a 7m x 5m area.
Decking Board Calculator For Spacing
When determining the quantity of boards, it is imperative to consistently consider their expansion spaces. These are gaps between the boards that permit them to undergo temperature-induced expansion and contraction without compromising adjacent boards.
Typically, this expansion margin must be between 5 and 8 mm. When you have determined the quantity of boards required for your area, you can approximate the total area of your expansion spaces by dividing that number by five using time.
By deducting this amount from the overall length of your deck, you may potentially preserve several boards that would have otherwise been discarded in storage.
Evidently, there are several methods for determining the quantity of decking boards required to complete a given undertaking. You are not required to settle down and write the equations down; you may instead consult a professional. Nevertheless, we strongly advise utilizing our in-house calculators. They are user-friendly and will provide you with the comprehensive cost of your endeavor, including all necessary calculations and repairs
Prepared to buy? Explore our vast selection of decking, which consists of contemporary composite decking as well as natural timber decking.
If you remain uncertain, please feel free to contact our renowned customer service team. They are available to assist you with any inquiries through the live chat feature on our website or by telephone at 01295 565 565. With more than four decades of experience in roofing and do-it-yourself, they are certain to be able to assist you in initiating your project quickly.
Thanks for reading.